How to Care for Fabric Sofa
How to Care for Fabric Sofa
A sofa is an important furniture in the home and the office. It is a long upholstered seat with a back and arms which can conveniently seat two or more people.
The fabric sofas come in different types.
Each sofa type has its own benefits and disadvantage
COTTON FABRIC SOFA
Cotton fabric sofa looks fantastic and feels soft but it doesn't last long. Due to the quality of the fabric, it is susceptible to creasing and attracts dirt readily. It can get soiled or stained easily and can pull thread at any time, especially when it is used as a family sofa in the living or sitting room.
LINEN FABRIC SOFA
It is similar to cotton fabric sofa but it is best suited to a formal setting such as hotel lobbies, waiting rooms and luxurious suites where it will undergo light to moderate usage. It doesn't last long compared to other upholstery, especially in the household where kids and pets exist.
It is gorgeous and adds elegance to the setting.
Caring For Linen Fabric Sofa
- Linen fabric is a delicate upholstery, it should be treated with utmost care in order to get the best out of it.
- When there is a spill on the material, mop and blot out the liquid quickly with a clean white cloth to avoid damaging the material.
- If this is not effective, you can apply water to the spot with a clean cloth and blot it out immediately to bring out the stain. Don't over-wet and try not to allow the stain to spread.
- Avoid using soap or detergent on this fabric as it may cause a color change. If you must use it, use a drop of liquid wash and stroke a few times in line with the weave of the fabric.
- Endeavour to follow the manufacturer's cleaning and label instructions to avoid damage to the fabrics.
WOOL FABRIC SOFA
Wool fabric sofa is more durable than cotton and linen upholstery. It has high resistant and well suited to the daily use that most sofas are subjected to in a busy household.
It is also beautiful, doesn't expand easily and easy to clean. The only drawback is that it is more expensive and difficult to find.
Caring For Wool Fabric Sofa
- Brush the sofa gently with soft clothing in one direction on a regular basis. This will help remove crumbs
- Vacuum regularly with vacuums that has upholstery attachment which is designed especially for wool fibers types used in upholstery. This will pick up dust that has settled in between fibers.
- Clean up stain as soon as it occurs and dry the area thoroughly by dabbing on it with a clean dry soft cloth. Do not scrub or allow the area to dry before the stain is removed.
- It is advisable to get a sofa with removable cover, especially if you have a young family. This cover can be washed in the washing machine by turning the covers inside out and using a tumble dryer. Always use a wool-safe detergent to avoid damaging the fabric.
MICROFIBRE FABRIC SOFA
Microfiber fabric sofa is durable, easy to clean and affordable but it is not as beautiful as its other counterparts. It is an advantage in homes with pets as the closely knitted fibers prevent pet hairs from sticking to it.
Caring For Microfiber Fabric Sofa
- Remove crumbs, dust, and dirt with a soft brush as soon as possible to prevent stains.
- In a household with pets, use a sticky lint roller on the sofa to pick up the pet hairs.
- Clean up spills immediately by soaking it up with paper towels before it stains and allows it to dry before sitting on it.
- Brush occasionally with fine tooth comb to prevent stiffness as the tiny fibers tend to get a little stiff after cleaning or when it is too wet.
FAUX LEATHER FABRIC SOFA
Faux leather fabric sofa is normally used by those who cannot afford real leather sofa. It can either be a synthetic fabric which feels and looks like real leather or it can be a mixture of lower cowhide and fabric.
It is durable, soft and has a good lifespan but it can easily be damaged by animal claws and teeth, so homes with a pet are advised to stay clear of such fabric sofa.
Caring For Faux Leather Fabric Sofa
- Dust weekly with a dry microfiber dust cloth.
- To deep clean the fabric sofa, start by dusting and wipe with a mixture of warm water and mild soap, using a soft sponge.
- Remove stains with alcohol-based cleanser and gently wipe the sofa with clean dry towel.
A guest contributor on HOG Furniture Blog , a Travel consultant and a Creative Fiction Writer. She has B.SC in biochemistry and MBA in Business Administration (Human Resources).
- HOG Furniture